2011 - A Year in Review
I was reading Jenn’s blog tonight and she had this meme up so I figured I would borrow it. The meme consists of some questions about things that happened to me in 2011. It’s been one hell of a year, filled with emotions both good and bad. As you read through this, try to think about what your own answers to these questions would be. Enjoy.
1. What did you do in 2011 that you’d never done before?
I married my husband Levi, biked over 100 miles, and applied to nursing school. (Not sure if this is worthy of making it into this question, but I also blogged at least once every month this year. Go me?)
2. Did you keep your new years’ resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I don’t know. I don’t really remember what my new years resolution was. I’ve never been big on new years resolutions, but I’m pretty sure now is the best time of year to sell bathroom scales and crappy exercise equipment. (I wonder how many shake weights Walmart will sell tomorrow!) I guess my 2012 resolution is going to be “Survive the end of the world.” (Just kidding..)
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Nope, but my niece turned one year old!
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Yes, my grandma. We all still miss her.
5. What countries did you visit?
None at all.
6. What would you like to have in 2012 that you lacked in 2011?
More financial stability – 2011 proved that having money saved up is more important than material possessions.
7. What date from 2011 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
There isn’t one single date that will remain etched upon my memory. The whole year was a landslide of emotions and events, and no one day corresponds with any of that. If I had to choose one date, I would probably have to choose December 7th. Not because it is Pearl Harbor day, but because that is the day my domestic partnership was officially registered.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Finishing my nursing school prerequisites. 2012 will hopefully bring news of what this means for me!
9. What was your biggest failure?
I was too negative. I find that I am predisposed to being negative, and I work hard to prevent it from happening but sometimes I let negativity slip out, and it pushes away people and opportunities. Also, I was too hard on myself and was hesitant to let myself enjoy new things.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Perfectly healthy here!
11. What was the best thing you bought?
My camera. My camera was the best thing I bought because it allows me to create art in a way that I have never been able to do before. When it comes to other forms of art, I tend to get impatient with the process – photography allows me to take my time and think about my composition in a way that is both technical and artistic and blends my love of technology and art together into one craft.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
My mom – She lost her mom, my grandma, this year and was very brave and held it together through all of the pain. I am proud of her, and appreciative of everything she did for us this year.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
14. Where did most of your money go?
Bills. So many dammed bills.
15. What events did you get really, really, really excited about?
Moving into my new apartment home! I got to help pick it out this time.
16. What song will always remind you of 2011?
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i.happier or sadder? Happier.
ii.thinner or fatter? 60-70 pounds thinner.
iii.richer or poorer? About the same.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Enjoyed the time I had. The year flew by, and I will never get the time back.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
I wish I had stressed out less. Too much stress this year. Next year, I would like to enjoy life more.
**20. How will you be spending Christmas? **
I don’t know, that is 12 months from now.
21. Who did you spend the most time on the phone with?
Various customer support call centers. I don’t call people that often, in fact.. I don’t like talking to most people on the phone.
22. Did you fall in love in 2011?
Not so much.
23. How many one-night stands?
- I’m skanky.
24. What was your favorite TV program?
I’m digging New Girl. I don’t watch a lot of television because I don’t have many channels, but I am a Hulu Plus subscriber, so I get to watch some shows that way.
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
I don’t tend to hate people, so no.
26. What was the best book you read?
The Road by Cormac McCarthy – This book still has me concerned for the characters that were in it!
27. What was your greatest musical discovery or rediscovery?
Florence + the Machine, or maybe Young the Giant – I can’t really get enough of either of these artists. Both of them released fabulous albums this year that get played all of the time on my iTunes.
28. What did you want and get?
I wanted and got so many things this year! Including, but not limited to: my camera, new apartment, my mom’s old bike, an iPhone, a nook, and a domestic partnership.
29. What did you want and not get?
Nothing. If I want something, I tend to find a way to get it. (I have very bad spending habits.)
30. What were your favorite films of this year?
Nothing really sticks out to me. Rise of the Planet of the Apes was pretty good..
31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 21 this year, and I didn’t really do much at all.
32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Less stress for sure.
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2011?
Two sizes to small, and then two sizes to big.
34. What kept you sane?
My husband Levi.
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most/least?
I tend not to get caught up in the lives of others.
36. What political issue stirred you the most?
The repeal of “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell.”
37. Whom did you miss?
My grandma, and my sister, brother-in-law and niece.
38. Who was the best new person you met?
Didn’t meet any new people, I don’t think.
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2011:
Don’t spend your savings account on useless crap that you have to sell later on for 30% of what you bought it for to pay a bill you knew was coming.
40. Do you have any lost feelings of others.
41.Quote a song that sums up your year:
Nope. If I quote a song, SOPA will get approved tomorrow and my blog will be taken down within a few days. Screw that. Also, I don’t think one song could possibly sum up my year.
Thank you for reading, and just in case I don’t get around to blogging again tonight – I hope you all have a safe and happy new year!